Wednesday 24 February 2010

Rules For Writing

Since my days in Cambridge, I have linked the Guardian to my English degree (spending breaks between lectures solving the G2 crossword and complaining about the ridiculous shortness of the Sports section, mostly). I think this article can provide additional evidence for the above association:


Ten Rules for Writing Fiction


Good stuff.

A couple of quotes that stood out:

  • "Laugh at your own jokes." - Neil Gaiman
  • "Have regrets. They are fuel. On the page they flare into desire." - Geoff Dyer
  • "Write only when you have something to say." - David Hare
  • "Open your mind to new experiences, particularly to the study of other ­people. Nothing that happens to a writer – however happy, however tragic – is ever wasted." - PD James
  • "Be without fear. This is impossible, but let the small fears drive your rewriting and set aside the large ones ­until they behave – then use them, maybe even write them. Too much fear and all you'll get is silence." - AL Kenendy


Sir Ian McKellen spat on me last night. I had front row tickets for Waiting for Godot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...